Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Camera rig

I've been working on a 15mm camera rig. A follow focus will be essential to this project, and I'll need something to mount in on once I make it, so here's what I've got so far:


The rods were from http://www.onlinemetals.com/ if I remember right, and so was the plastic. The photos should make the design so far clear. The plastic parts were cut from this plastic, 3/4" I think. Hey, it was the cheapest option by far and it works great! I cut the sections shown from a 12 X 12" piece, and this took 36 square inches (3X12) to make two brackets. I can make smaller brackets, but I wanted to make a larger one for the camera first, and I can always swap out brackets later. The measurements are 60 mm rod spacing, and 15 mm (approx., it's slightly off, but not much) diameter rods. The reason I built it to these measurements is that is what commercial DSLR rigs are using, so if we ever happen to acquire a 15mm rod accessory, (which is unlikely, as the prices are astronomical!) it should be compatible with commercial systems. I'm not the only one building or who has built a DSLR rig though, but I'm the only one who has posted it so far (hint hint, Daniel!) Next I need to work on making this into a shoulder rig, with a counterweight and shoulder pad, or I could just use it on a tripod as its main function will be for the follow focus.

1 comment:

  1. Nice! That looks great! I can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment! No, really!