Monday, December 10, 2012

In the meantime...

While it's rendering I'll put some more details on here.

 The file for the first scene is made up of four blender scenes. I have one for the world, one for the satellite, one for the asteroid, and one for the star field. If you're wondering why I can't combine them, and reduce complexity, there are several reasons. One reason is that it uses two render engines and then composites them. Another reason is that it makes it a lot easier to apply the right effects to the right parts in the compositor. For example, I use a glow effect on the world, which I think looks good and really improves the scene, but that glow effect looks really weird on the star background, so I had to find a way to selectively apply compositing effects.

Animation of the satellite and asteroid is really hard (at least for me, that's one of my weaker areas) because they are in separate scenes, using different render engines. This could be solved by converting the asteroid to Cycles, but the reason I haven't is that it doesn't look as good:

That's with the same lighting as the satellite. Doesn't look nice at all, does it?

Anyway, it can be done, but for now I'll let it alone. Video coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment! No, really!